Explosion Proof Mixers
We custom manufacture explosion proof (XP) mixers for blending ethanol, IPA, alcohol, solvents, and more.
White Mountain Process understands the requirements for mixing in explosion proof environments and can assist with Sanitary Mixers and Industrial duty agitators for IPA, Ethanol, and Solvent agitation applications.
XP OPTIONS FOR WMPROCESS MIXERS
- AC Class I Div I Group D motors and other group ratings
Mixer controls outside the hazardous area, or instrinsically safe purged control panels to UL698 are commonly used.
- AIR MIXERS AND PNEUMATIC AGITATORS
Intrinsically safe for hazardous areas
- DC 24volt Class I Div II
We use intrinsically safe wiring to a UL control panel which would mount outside the hazardous area, or fixed speed XP mixer motor.
- INTRINSICALLY SAFE MIXER TACHOMETERS
Variety of speed sensors and I.S. wiring for mixers and rotating equipment
Explosion proof (XP) motor classifications
There are six general classifications when it comes to the overall definition of explosion proof motor classifications. These brief descriptions can aid and assist you in better understanding how to maintain safe mixing operations.
Please note: These definitions involve the presence of specific flammable gasses or vapor that may be present in sufficient quantities to produce explosive or ignitable mixtures or situations.
- Group C – Classifications in Group C include certain volatile vapors that when concentrated can lead to explosions.
- Group D – Classifications in Group D involves atmospheres containing gasoline, hexane, benzene, butane, propane, alcohols, acetone, benzol, lacquer solvent vapors, natural gas and the like.
- Class 11 – Classifications in Class 11 are those that are hazardous because of the presence of combustible dust.
- Group E – Classifications involve atmospheres containing metal dust, including aluminum, magnesium, or their commercial alloys.
- Group F – Classifications involve atmospheres containing carbon black, charcoal, coal or coke dust.
- Group G – Classifications involve atmospheres containing flour, starch, grain or combustible plastics or chemical dusts.
Of course, when it comes to the pharmaceutical or the food and beverage industries, not all of these definition of explosion proof motor classifications come into play. Moreover, depending upon the ultimate product that will be involved in the mixing process, some of these definition of explosion proof motor classifications will be more important to understand and regulate than will others.
In the final analysis, when it comes to definition of explosion proof motor classifications and dealing with the prevention of explosive situations in the mixing process, two factors come into play. First, the proper type of equipment must be selected and installed — properly — in the first instance. Second, it is vital that the equipment once installed be utilized in a proper, appropriate and safe manner.
By understanding definition of XP motor classifications generally, you will be in a better position to make certain that your mixing operations are undertaken with maximum safety.
Known for their rugged construction and reliability, Air Motors and air powered Gearmotors are available in both lubricated and oilless models. An air motor is something to consider for XP applications, or for flexibility in powering a mixer.
There are also stainless sanitary air motors which are nicely suited for biopharm mixing applications. Some benefits of air motors on mixing equipment:
- Non-electrical operation reduces the possibility of explosion from igniting flammable gases
- Undamaged by overloads
- Ideal in hazardous and hostile environments
- Rugged and simple to install
- Variable speed capabilities allow flexibility and versatility, by using an air control valve you can easily adjust the mixer speed
- Cool-running operation means air motors can be used in ambient temperatures of up to 250 F (120 C)
There are some negatives with air mixer motors compared to electric mixer motors. The benefits of electric are that they are quiet, do not have excessive air exhaust, and they do have very accurate speed control, and feedback loops to a VFD.
Also available! Orbital Shakers from White Mountain Process
Our Orbital Shakers are perfect for blending buffers, proteins, chromatography slurries and a great choice for single use mixing with either carboys or single use bags.
Orbital Lab Shakers are known for their ability to provide low shear and gentle blending, to more vigorous shaking and mixing action. Shakers are heavy duty and robust, easy to use, and extremely effective at mixing very quickly and uniformly.
Orbital Shakers typical options we can provide:
- Biopharma ready, complete documentation packages, IQ/OQ optional, FAT testing optional.
- Heavy Duty Large Volume Mixing and Small Volume blending
- Fixed Speed or Variable Speed / High or Low Speed
- Variable Speed digital display with digital countdown timer
- Temperature controlled top plate typical
- Explosion Proof and Hazardous Duty motors available
- Remote Control Operation available
- All Stainless Steel Models
Incubator High Humidity and CO2 gassed models
We also offer single-use and carboy mixers for laboratory use
.For top-quality, single-use mixing systems, contact White Mountain Process. Our single use mixers are erfect for biotech, pharmaceutical mixing, medical and other aseptic mixing and blending applications. Our customers find this system to be flexible, reliable, sanitary and remarkably easy to use.
Our Single Use Mixers can mix from ½ liter to 200 liters – with a single mixer. If more is required, we’ve designed our systems to be flexible enough to mix up to 5,000 liters with the same mixing action, even when using traditional mixing impellers.
This offers a simpler alternative to difficult-to-manage single use bags and tank liners commonly used in the industry. However, don’t let its simplicity fool you – this is no cheap, flimsy mixer. Our engineered lab mixer and tank systems meet high industry standards, and offer mixing impellers which can scale up or down. This means our single use mixers can be used for either pilot plant or production mixing processes, and other applications.
You’ll also be glad to know that like other WMProcess products, our Poly USP VI Mixing tank may be customized to suit your specific application. Choose to include tank baffles or not; order TC fittings welded to suit, and choose between other features such as dip tubes, vent filters and outlet valves, to be included if needed.
Contact White Mountain Process to discuss your project and intended applications. We can help you design a system unique to your needs, or a mixer flexible enough to mix a variety of media for nearly any imaginable application.